Tattoo Aftercare Instructions
THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD BE TOUCHING A HEALING TATTOO IS TO “CLEAN IT” AND TO “MOISTURIZE IT” AND YOU SHOULD WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE AND AFTER DOING EITHER.
Healing times vary from person to person as no two people’s skin are alike. Some people heal faster than others and some take longer than normal. Healing times can also vary on the same person with every tattoo they get. Scabbing will occur and vary from paper thin & light to very thick & heavy depending on various factors.
Average tattoo healing time is 4-8 weeks
(This is skin surface healing time only)
WHAT TO DO
- DO Wash tattoo with antibacterial soap or any soap that "does not" cause irritation or redness.
- Wash with warm water and rinse with cold twice daily throughout the healing process, once in the morning and an hour before bedtime. If in a dirty profession such as construction or auto mechanic than cleaning the tattoo 3 times a day might be needed.
- Gently pat dry tattoo with a fresh clean towel and allow to completely “air-dry” before applying any aftercare or lotion.
- DO use ONLY a Tattoo Aftercare product or Non-Perfumed healing/moisturizing LOTION on your tattoo throughout the healing process 3-5 times daily or as needed. Applied only in thin coats with freshly washed hands.
- DO take only brief showers with comfortably warm water.
- Wear loose fitting clothes, garments, underwear and/or shoes when necessary while healing a tattoo to avoid friction and irritation. Also avoid compromising a freshly done tattoo.
- If Saniderm© tattoo film was applied it may stay on for a minimum of 8 hours but NO longer than 24 hours. For more Saniderm info visit www.SANIDERM.com
- If a simple gauze, bandage or cover was applied to cover your tattoo it may stay on for a min. 45 minutes but NO longer than 4 hours.
- ONLY follow the aftercare instructions given to you by your artist here at Blue Jay Tattoo and Art Gallery. If you've been instructed differently when tattooed by another artist at another shop it doesn't make their information or instructions wrong. We just want you to please follow our instructions for every tattoo done by the artists here at Blue Jay Tattoo.
PLEASE DO NOT
DO NOT scrub tattoo or use a cloth when washing or cleaning newly tattooed skin. With light pressure slowly circulate hand flat across the skin to clean off any dry blood or body fluids.
DO NOT expose your new or freshly healed tattoo to direct sunlight for more than 30 minutes in a day for the first 30 days at least.
DO NOT use Neosporin, Vaseline, Aquaphor, A&D or any Petroleum based product on a new tattoo.
DO NOT allow tattoo to soak or take long hot showers.
DO NOT go swimming in pools, jacuzzi, lakes, ocean or use a sauna. Chlorinated pools/water should be avoided for a minimum of 90 days at the very minimum.
DO NOT pick, peel, pull or scratch at your new tattoo. When scabbing, peeling or flaking occurs allow to fall off on their own as you will get ink hollows if you pull them.
DO NOT allow your tattoo to come in contact with pet hair/dander as this can cause infections. Replace or wash all bed linens if pets are allowed on your bed.