Tattoo Aftercare Instructions
THE ONLY TIME YOU SHOULD BE TOUCHING A HEALING TATTOO IS TO “CLEAN IT” AND TO “MOISTURIZE IT” AND YOU SHOULD WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE AND AFTER DOING EITHER.
Healing times vary from person to person as no two people’s skin are alike. Some people heal faster than others and some take longer than normal. Healing times can also vary on the same person with every tattoo they get. Scabbing will occur and vary from paper thin & light to very thick & heavy depending on various factors.
Average tattoo healing time is 4-6 weeks
(This is skin surface healing time)
- Wash tattoo with antibacterial soap or any soap that doesn’t irritate or cause burning sensation. Wash with warm water and rinse with cold daily throughout the healing process.
- DO NOT scrub tattoo or use a cloth when washing or cleaning newly tattooed skin. With light pressure slowly circulate hand flat across the skin to clean off any dry blood or body fluids.
- Pat dry cleaned tattoo with fresh clean towel and allow to completely “air-dry” before applying any aftercare or lotion.
- DO NOT expose your new or healed tattoo to direct sunlight.
- Use a Tattoo Aftercare product or Non-Perfumed healing/moisturizing lotion on your tattoo throughout the healing process 3-5 times daily or as needed. Applied only in thin coats.
- DO NOT use Vaseline, Aquaphor, A&D or any Petroleum based product on a new tattoo.
- Take brief showers with comfortably warm water.
- DO NOT allow tattoo to soak or take long hot showers, go swimming in pools/lakes or use a sauna. Chlorinated pools/water should be avoided for a minimum of 90 days.
- Wear loose fitting clothes, garments, underwear when necessary while healing a Tattoo to avoid irritation or compromising the tattoo.
- DO NOT pick, peel, pull or scratch at your new tattoo. When scabbing, peeling or flaking occurs allow to fall off on their own as you will get ink hollows if you pull them.
- If a simple gauze, bandage or cover was applied to cover your tattoo allow to stay on for a min. 45 minutes but NO longer than 4 hours. If Saniderm© was specifically applied it may stay on for a min. of 12 hours but NO longer than 24 hours.
- DO NOT allow your tattoo to come in contact with pet hair/dander as this can cause infections. Replace or wash all bed linens if pets are allowed on your bed.